Many rage about my generation for constantly having cell phones and ipods attached to our ears and never having peaceful moments of quiet reflection and mediation. I cannot, nor will not, deny that I am a part of this always plugged in generation. However, I do have time for reflection as I shower, as well as in those quiet moments while I lay in bed unsuccessfully trying to fall asleep as my thoughts bounce all around my head. Two days ago while taking a shower I pondered this very topic, which was thought of because of the following.
While showering after a long day of work I was thinking about many different topics, and they all started to combine in thoughts. I thought about how badly I wanted to update my blog, but didn't have time because if I were to be on the computer, I needed to be searching for a job. I was thinking of my unsuccessful search for a job. I considered change and how much I sometimes like change. It was then that I considered changing my name to Elle (not legally of course, but to be used with every new acquaintance). I then thought of how I wouldn't want to do that, because when I have a baby girl I would like to name her Elle. This is a big deal, I tend to not think much of the future, I have no idea how many kids I want or what I want there names to be. I have no idea of where I'll want to live, then or now, I have no idea where I want to get married or even what I'll want my colors to be. I have no idea of any details at all. All of it just gives me a big headache and unnecessary stress. It makes me wonder, was I ever a little girl? Did I ever dream? I guess it just proves that despite my addiction to shopping, I am just not a girly girl.
By reading the previous paragraph and contemplation on other thoughts, I can now realize why I choose to stay plugged in. By being plugged in: I stay focused; I avoid mindless thoughts; I avoid stress; and I avoid daydreaming which results in a waste of time for me.
October 10, 2008
elle is for lauren
Posted by Lauren at 2:01 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
ha, not going to happen...
Lauren - I don't even know what to say reading that - what? - what did I just read? Sweet girl, I have never known anybody whose mind works the way that yours does - that's probably why I love you so much. You could always name your firstborn daughter "Catherine" Elle. Sounds pretty good, if you do ask me. Auntie Cath
Yeah, it's so trendy to rage on our generation. But just like the "stop smoking" campaign, it takes 20 years to notice a good idea. Our generation has a lot of good ideas. So what that we do things differently. Ending slavery sounded really "different" at one time too. :-)
You can tell all our new friends in DC that your name is Elle. I'd totally go with it.
Navy blue & kelly green. Caleb Blake, Lucie, Bridget, and Piper (more names than children I want to have). I clearly need to spend more time plugged into my ipod.
Post a Comment